Okay, this is day one of a two day process. I didn't have to do the Rit Dye Remover dip. I completely forgot about doing it, so I guess I'm lucky. Rex didn't use clothing dye on my unit. Also, it wasn't the bleach that made the mess I made today, it was my heavy hand. I like using the B2W powder with the Clairoxide Vol 40 developer. It's not a kit, it's a tub of powder and a bottle, so you get more uses out of it. Today, I used the measuring cup that came with the tub - 1 cup of the powder, and 1 cup of the developer. I used about 7 drops of the UnRed. KEY POINT: I let the mixture sit for awhile, and it puffed up, like a mousse. I think this is key to not using so much, and it letting it become thick enough to not bleed through the lace. I tried to do the tapping method, but it wasn't working for me. I used a new blush brush and LIGHTLY brushed over the cap. I should have stopped at just the front, but it's something addictive about brushing that creme over the lace. I did the perimeter of the unit, back, sides, and front. I left it on for at least 45 minutes. I lifted up the front and by the ear to watch it turn. It was scary to leave it on that long, but the MHRW site advised to leave it on until it turns from orange to light yellow. I guess I have an extremely heavy hand because the bleach bled through, especially the back. I'm mad, but I know it's going to be fixed tomorrow. I'm going to get a dark brown/off black toner, some vol 10 developer (according to my expert stylist aka my daughter, who's graduating from Paul Mitchell this month), mix it up, and brush it on with either a mascara wand or that application brush that came with the bleach kit. Oh well, as the lacefront turns... until tomorrow. Stay tuned. Grab a bowl of popcorn, this is going to get interesting.
I found a haircoloring info site that's really informative. If you don't want green roots, please read.